Eagerly Unanticipated

Monday, October 23, 2006

the last couple weeks have gone by really quickly

Part of which is a result of an extended school-related burnout. About a week after that last entry, I had the Watson interview, which really put me on edge--I missed a day of work at my internship so I could make it to the time slot, it really stressed me out, and I definitely felt after like I didn't get a chance to talk about what I'd really wanted to while I'd had to scramble to answer a lot of marginal logistics questions. The next morning, I got an email about two minutes after I left for my morning class--I was rejected. The post-Watson rejection hangover lasted almost a week, including all of fall break. I didn't go to any of my classes for the rest of the week, slept a lot, and caught up on some movies. Over fall break, I slept a lot, failed to shave regularly, etc. I missed more classes the thursday and friday after we got back, leading into this weekend, though I did manage to produce a shocking quantity of writing (though not necessarily writing of quality) between wednesday night and thursday afternoon. Now, it's sunday night, I slept five hours extra today beyond what I had planned, and the promises I made at the end of last week about what would be done by monday do not appear to be coming to fruition.

This was supposed to be the weekend I finished putting stuff up on my walls, the weekend I got the piles of old papers (financial, school, random, important) organized and filed, the weekend I started going to the gym regularly again, the weekend I stuck to a regular sleep schedule, the weekend I was even supposed to start wearing my retainer again after god only knows how long. Um, I did get laundry done, and I did manage to take part in a successful AAMP field trip to the "part asian, 100% hapa" exhibition at the Japanese American National Museum (http://www.janm.org/exhibits/kipfulbeck/home); since I'd been a few weeks ago with Kristy, I found my own little Polaroid and statement of identity tacked on the wall, which was an awesome feeling, even though I still think I look kinda goofy in the picture. And I did get to eat mochi ice cream, which is amazing.

Part of the shift or trend of the past couple weeks has been away from school-related stuff, which can be problematic (i.e. stuff is still due), but which I think is more rewarding. I feel like most of what I'm doing in either department (history and math) is pretty useless--sophistry in the sense of "that thing Socrates hated." Meanwhile, the internship is getting good--I've started working with and advocating for actual clients--which makes the reading and critiquing of texts even less fulfilling.

That's all I got for now (some ideas are floating around, though, to be addressed later this week). Oh, and I just not five minutes ago remembered where I put the power and USB cables for my printer, which had been sitting on the corner of my desk inert since I moved in in August. It had frustrated me on and off for months, and something triggered me to remember I ingeniously wrapped them around each other and stowed them in the casing by the ink cartridge. So no more stupid trips to Andrews to print stuff. And I feel a little less like I'm hopelessly lost in an edifice of forgotten important stuff. So yay for that.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home