Eagerly Unanticipated

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

five minutes of random thoughts

because I need to get up at 6am to fly to boston and visit my grandma tomorrow morning (yay!)

-- we spent a week in Guangzhou just before I left for the US. lots to say, but not at the moment.

--home is a lot colder than HK, which was colder than GZ. Boston will be coldest of all. *nervous laughter*

--America is confusing. Especially American air travel.

--I will begin writing and mailing holiday (post)cards from Boston. Somehow, I failed to do so during my 11 1/2 hour flight from HK to LA, during which I managed maybe two hours of sleep.

--I'm reading Gunter Grass's The Tin Drum, which is an acknowledged influence of Midnight's Children (self-acknowledged by Rushdie). It's kind of weird seeing similarities between the two because I am seeing them backwards, in reverse-chronological order (I read Midnight this past summer), and so it feels like I'm misattributing the balance of literary genius between the two. How to reconcile this?

--I kind of just want to take a lot of photos of the mountains (snow-capped, now) and downtown from where I live, mostly to hold on to for when I return to HK, in order to prove that air this clean *can* exist.

--Driving back on the right here is fine 98% of the time, but every so often I have to check myself (like when I think, "why is that bus on the wrong side of the road!?")

--I would be happier spending more time reading and less time on the internet.

--Rich Rodriguez strikes me as a pretty good choice. Hopefully the Big 10 coaching model will stick with him and he'll stay for life/until retirement/reassignment to the AD's office. I liked Les Miles as a coach, but the SEC is too big-spender and cutthroat with coach recruiting. That kind of instability seems like a bad thing.

1 Comments:

  • Re the comment about Chinese being spoken, you know what I meant. *sigh*

    And Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and Proust's Swann's Way...although I also got out another collection of the latter's work. But I went back to reading Christie again...easier on the mind around holidays. Less dense than Proust, at any rate.

    Merry Christmas! Hope you're having a good visit back home!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/25/07, 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home