Eagerly Unanticipated

Thursday, December 01, 2005

... in which i go to mockba

(or, as it's called in Hungarian, Moszkva). Um, actually, I'm in the midst of a very busy week. Finals are all too close, and my friend Steph is in town (we go to Amsterdam on friday), so it's been tough to find time. Briefly, though, Moscow was absolutely amazing. Tremendous. Words alone may not describe--gestures, for emphasis, are necessary. Rachel and I managed to take care of what has apparently been called the "holy quadrilateral" of Russian cultural experience, dacha (country house), banya (sauna in which you beat people with birch branches), vodka, and myasa (meat), in my first 24 hours in the city, not to mention Red Square, blini (fabulous crepe-like things), and an opera at the Bolshoi (which didn't make much sense) (all of which took place in the first day). I promise to include more details, but as a whole it was like no place I've ever been, and no trip I've ever been on, and I didn't even get robbed (ripped off, maybe, but not actually stolen from).

Also, Russia seems to be a country in which you have to know the language to get around; although I didn't get more than a half-dozen words or so, I did manage to learn how to at least pronounce stuff, allowing me to get around the extensive (ten lines) metro system on my own. A million thanks to Rachel, who I'm sure still feels amazed that I made it (the feeling is mutual), and who basically had to order every meal I ate and the ticket to every museum/"reggae" concert/ferris wheel we went to--except Lenin, for which there are no tickets, but I'm out of time. More soon.

sam

ps she wrote the whole trip up on her blog--claremontlove.blogspot.com--which may be useful if you're impatient.

5 Comments:

  • hi sam.

    im happy you made it to russia. russia is great.

    i read your friends blog bit about your visit. im really excited that you had blinis from a teremok! did you have the green-blin?!

    anyway, ill probably see you at some point this winter.

    ellen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/2/05, 2:15 AM  

  • Hey Sam, was the "reggae" concert by 5’NIZZA? I only ask because a friend of mine from high school who is in Moscow this semester was at a concert by them last weekend, and his description of it was something like reggae played by Ukranians. Seems like it could have well been the same one. Anyway, sounds like fun excursion.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/2/05, 2:44 PM  

  • it was absolutely by 5'NIZZA! the venue was this little bar that we got to by turning down a side street, veering into an alley, walking down a parking lot, through a chain-link fence, down some stairs, into this little coat-check area, and then downstairs. The music itself occaisionally veered into sounding like reggae, but mostly... not. It was a lot of fun, though, in any event.

    Teremok was insanely good; i had like three salmon blini while i was there, as well as some sort of meat, chicken, and a dessert blin. There is no question we will be scouring LA for blini come springtime.

    By Blogger sam, at 12/2/05, 9:29 PM  

  • I am indeed impatient so I'll be checking out your friend blog too. I must say that Moscow had never been too high on my list of places to go, but it is now! Sounds great. Enjoy Holland.

    By Blogger Travelingrant, at 12/2/05, 10:57 PM  

  • Hi, I like your blog. It is very original. Please feel free to check out my blog about penis enlargement.

    Oh, and that sounds awesome. Now the pressure is on me to visit.

    -Pat

    By Blogger Petroc, at 12/6/05, 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home