Eagerly Unanticipated

Thursday, May 18, 2006

the start of summer

So I'm home again for a little more than a month--the longest I've spent in Denver since the summer of 2004 and the longest I've been home without a job since... spring 2001? sophomore year of high school. It'll be weird, undoubtedly. Needless to say, I see this as an opportunity to establish domesticity. Already tonight, I cooked dinner for the family (grilling salmon and a little stirfry); I grilled steaks last night and am making the famous El Pato chicken tomorrow, with some personal touches, hopefully. Although last semester's dream of cooking at school was a failure, I have nothing but time, at least until June 24th or so, and I'm looking to expand the reperatoire.

Also planned: watching a ridiculous amount of NBA playoff action (esp considering we have one of the best first/second rounds in recent memory), getting through season 2 (and possibly 3) of 24, doing some reading, working out a little bit, getting tan by working in the yard, etc. So hopefully 'bored' won't actually be this part of the summer.

It was, however, the best description of the drive out here. The first 775 miles of the I-15/I-70 corridor out of LA just plain suck (with the exception of that one long valley in central utah). There's nothing to see, it's kind of hazy and washed-out even with sunglasses on, and, I'm sorry, but Nevada does not deserve to be a state. Without silver mining (which left, oh, a hundred years ago), they make their money on tourism, which may be the most ironic commercial success ever, considering how little the state has to offer (water as well as worthwhile sites). I say turn it back into a territory. I'm sorry that Harry Reid will have to leave the Senate, but, honestly, if there's an excuse for that state's existance other than their lack of gambling laws, it sure isn't along I-15.

Other thoughts: everyone in Utah is a courteous driver. The sky is bluer in Colorado than anywhere else I've ever been on earth. Eating fast food four meals in a row is terrible for you. Some music is paced perfectly to drive to, unless I'm tired, at which point I need rap. Fourteen hours on the road alone is a lot of time to think about things; I feel like I emerge from those long drives having overthought a couple fairly trivial things (possibly having a little to do with the ex) and having neglected to seriously ruminate on the deep things I would have like to believe I would spend my time thinking about. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home