Eagerly Unanticipated

Friday, January 06, 2006

little things make me happy

So I saw "Munich" the other night. In addition to being a good movie, if you ignore Spielberg's inability to end a movie without at least three shots that you expect to be the end as they fade out, it was filmed in, of all places, Budapest!

While we were there, maybe early szeptember, there had been a rumor he (Spielberg) was filming some movie in BP, but we didn't know what it was. In fact, Peter and I passed a street that was being used for filming one afternoon. All the signage had been covered with cardboard and replaced with English-language signs, and there were a couple old-school red English phone booths standing rather conspicuously on the sidewalk. One of the local police shooed us away before we saw anything else, and I'd forgotten about it for months, until I saw the scene in Munich where they're in London and *i guess a spoiler* the CIA guys prevent them from taking out their target. That was the street! I recognized this pedestrian overpass-thing, the trashy lingerie in a storefront... Not a block away was Deak ter, the 47/49, it was all coming back to me...

One of the weirdest parts of being back home is the way BP dropped so abruptly out of my life, making it from 'living experience' to 'occaisionally-told anecdote' in about 18 hours. It felt good to see it again on screen, even if they tried to act like it was 70s-era London. Indeed, the following shot in a hotel lobby turned out to be the Mariott where I'd met up with Leigh's dad and Sabrina (and her parents) for dinner, a later scene centered on a bench on the running path around Margitsziget (near the Margit hid, with a photoshopped-but-recognizable Parlament in the background), and there were a couple others after that as well. I kept tapping my friend on the shoulder and whispering "I know where that is!" until she shushed me with an "I know what you're gonna say..." Nevertheless, it felt good, like it in some small, petty way further legitimized the Experience of Living in BP.

In general, being back has been as expected: too much sleeping, too much red meat, not enough seeing people, too much televised basketball, bowl games, and Avalanche hockey. Right now, I should be cleaning my room up/clearing my stuff out in preparation for a radical furniture rearrangement (house-wide) szombat reggel. I take my willingness to get back on the horse and write this (when I'd seen the movie sunday evening) as a sign I haven't forgotten how to creatively procrastinate. Ciao!

1 Comments:

  • I'm mortified to realize that my blog has the same layout as your blog. (It's like we went to prom in the same dress!) I'll just have to view this as a sign that we both have excellent taste.

    By Blogger Toby, at 1/15/06, 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home