Eagerly Unanticipated

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Visiting family is worthwhile, but definitely stressful. We'll probably end up talking about it over the phone if you're the sort of person that's interested.



Deadlines really are what make me kick things into gear. Honestly, if I wasn't going to Miami on thursday (hi, Vicki!) for a week, I would probably be sleeping til noon or so every day. However. The truncation of "days left at home before departure to HK" has set a deadline, and I'm acting. I'm even waking up earlier--w/out my alarm clock, which, earlier this summer, I frequently turned off in my sleep. I guess this is a sign I will be able to adapt OK to working, classes (intensive language classes, hopefully), schedules, etc., once august rolls around. So yay for that.

I also have some other things I'm thinking about writing about in a more serious, less day-to-day-chronicle sort of way. A friend of mine from back home mentioned that he's started doing some writing as well, and I had to try to moderate my excitement over the phone. I didn't want him to get the wrong idea, like I was pushing to read it or anything; I'm just happy something I've found to be so helpful is a part of a friend's life.

Related: in my head, I classify most of what I've thrown out on the internet as lowercase-writing. Stuff I did for class last spring was capital-Writing, but barely, like I tried to keep the voice and tone of writing but with the focus and editing and meaningful lesson-to-be-learned common to Writers. I was, for a long time, intimidated by Writers (I intellectually fetishized Writing?). Something that probably changed for the better is that lesson that, like the way fiction and nonfiction kind of blur, the way thoughts sort out is somewhere between writing and Writing. Artificial distinction, sure, but categorizing things qualitatively is always artificial, and thinking about things this way makes the process a little more tranquilo. and that word means I've been watching too much soccer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home