Eagerly Unanticipated

Sunday, June 10, 2007

this should be mentioned

So, being sick and lying around the house all day, I'm wearing my old red "i are scientists" tshirt that I got at that We Are Scientists show freshman year. Back then, they were a band of claremont alumni, and so we welcomed and cherished them. It was not an obvious thing that they would go on to play venues larger (and nicer) than Grooveline.

And then I was watching "Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Inferno 3" on MTV (I'm sick, so I think that makes it ok) while eating a dinner of chicken broth, brown rice, and poached eggs. At a critical juncture, whose song should MTV choose to play in order to emotionally and dramatically contextualize a conversation? That's right, We Are Scientists. It made me feel a little bit old inside. I mean, we've all grown up so much in those four years, and meanwhile, that band we used to go to see like four times a year because they could always get a gig at the claremont colleges has gotten signed and become famous. It's funny which little things send us back in time like this, to little crystallized moments that metonymically refer to medium-sized chunks of our pasts.

Oh, and to Carter/David/Jaz, I hope that in four more years, I'll be able to reminisce about how you played class day and now are touring Europe or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home