Eagerly Unanticipated

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

apparently, it was destiny

So the other day was my friend Joe's birthday. He's interested in astrology, numerology, Daoism, etc, and so I thought it would be a nice thing to go to a fortune teller to celebrate. We went to literally the tiniest office I've ever seen (room for him, a desk, and two chairs for us only), in Mong Kok, on the sixteenth floor of what looked like an old apartment building, with sketchy little elevators that served only either the even or the odd levels. He was recommended by a couple of Canadian student-teachers, whose situation is a little like ours, only they arrived a year prior to us.

Basically, I went into the session, a palm and face reading, with no small amount of skepticism, but I came away impressed. His readings of our personalities, based on our palms, were quite accurate, and he definitely had different things to say to each of us. Apparently, my palm includes the information that I will be married three times. He also had some very good things to say about our relationships with friends and family, and how we responded (and should respond) to situations that may arise in the future.

For the face reading, he pointed to different facial features and described them as representing different periods in our lives. The forehead represents childhood, the chin old age, etc. I was told that my weak cheeks signified that the years when I will be 46 and 47 will be difficult, and that the moles on my forehead were reminders of bad things, while the one lower on my face was good. The scar on my forehead from that skiing accident was a caution against some kind of personal betrayal.

Most interestingly, though, he said that my young adulthood would be very good, based on my "strong, full" eyebrows. He then reiterated: "You have very powerful eyebrows, good shape." I thought at this point about telling him that, yes, thank you, they were shaped by a Vietnamese woman at Star Nails in Denver. I decided against it, figuring that if a scar, a cosmetic change that occurred sometime earlier in life, had meaning for my fortune, so must the shape and condition of my eyebrows. The lesson: waxing and tweezing can indeed improve one's future.

1 Comments:

  • that last bit definitely made me laugh.

    look at anyone's eyebrows long enough, and they'll develop uncanny properties.

    kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/16/07, 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home