Eagerly Unanticipated

Thursday, September 20, 2007

keeping in touch, 2007 edition

Tomorrow morning will be the morning when I complete all those tasks on my to-do list left over from earlier this week. Familiar. But I guess it's nice to know that you can move me halfway around the world and I'll still keep all my bad habits intact. List-making does help a little, but it'll always make the biggest difference in what I do with my tomorrow morning, which is the day I swear I'll actually get up with my alarm clock.

This is a really long way of saying I'm not going to actually post photos and content about the last week, although I do have some stuff that I want to write about.

Instead, I just wanted to mention the little pang of sadness I got just now when I updated the links in my sidebar. "friends who write" was a vast vast improvement over what I had there before (nyt? the onion? I don't exactly remember, but nothing particularly personal), but I find that it requires a little more regular attention, as people start and stop writing, share and fall silent, get busy or become idle, etc etc. This puppy's been running for quite a while now, back when the stories were about Budapest and Hungarian class (which, although I'm afraid/reluctant to draw such a direct comparison, remind me in their own ways of HK and Cantonese class), back, frankly, when I had a different set of in-close-touch friends, and so on and so forth. Anyway, it's something I'd rather not dwell on: this is supposed to be about everyone else who writes stuff on the internet that I read.

Although my list of bookmarked blog URLs disappeared when my laptop was stolen last spring, I'm pretty sure I've found all but one or two of the pages I used to read. I try to hold on to addresses, just in case people return to them, but it's a little sad to check up on all the defunct pages, to see all the dust on the pane of these little windows into people's lives. By the way, please bear with me on the I'm-embarrassed-by literary devices; I think it's a side-effect of spending my days either speaking in English, but trying to clarify pronunciation of "thin" and "thing", or speaking in Cantonese, where more than half of the words I say are "this one" (and I usually mess up and pronounce the
個 like in putonghua). So I guess there's a part of me desperate to get all faux-poetic and deep-down-I-know-I'm-not-gonna-want-to-reread-this-y. This is what happens when I stop writing in my journal, apparently.

But yeah, the churn, like in economics. But the churn of blogs: I took down another one tonight, added two, and am thinking about linking to some of the other ETAs here, who actually *do* include things like photos and narrative accounts of what exactly we do here. I honestly hope that all of you (the audience) will keep writing, start writing again if your own domain has fallen into disuse, and that you'll maintain the consistency that I feel like I'm sometimes lack in terms of schedule, promised content (ha!), media, and the link. And Sarah, I don't know if you read this, but I really will put up that video of you and the dolphins on youtube. Hopefully tomorrow, but soon. It's in writing.

2 Comments:

  • I write! If you don't want to keep checking and not see anything, you can get an RSS feed. It's kind of stalker-y, but then you know when someone has updated.

    By Blogger Rachel, at 9/21/07, 7:13 AM  

  • i still write! and I've got plenty of material to keep going too.

    By Blogger Travelingrant, at 9/26/07, 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home