Eagerly Unanticipated

Friday, February 15, 2008

sleep

After Chinese New Year had me going to bed at like 4 or 5am and waking up the following afternoon for maybe four or five days in a row, I was not anxious to face going back to work at a relatively early time this week (i.e. early as compared to some of the other ETAs, at least one of whom teaches no morning classes).

Somehow, though, I was able to adjust things to a more reasonable working-week sleep schedule: midnight til 8:30 or so, which lasted through a couple days of work. I was all ready to write a triumphalist blog post about it, something about being decisive somehow overcoming mind-body conflict or some nonsense like that.

But then the wheels came off. I picked up "The Corrections", years after I'd decided to read it and months after I'd checked it out of the university library. And it's been keeping me up way later than I planned for now three nights. I can't believe a keep-you-up-at-night book was hiding under my stack of good-but-help-you-fall-asleep books for so long. And I'm worried, because I don't know how long it'll take me to finish it, or where the extra hours will come from to sustain my reading pace + a healthy sleep schedule. I'm hoping it'll cut into Internet Time, but I don't have anyone to tie me to the mast every time I pass by the siren that is my laptop...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home