Eagerly Unanticipated

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

only somewhat about recent travel

But I will get around to that. In a sentence per each trip:
Taiwan was amazing, and they love baseball, democracy, and turnip cakes fried with lard in a way that I found touching and wonderful and delicious.
China makes no sense, and I was inordinately bothered by their neglect of maps.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the birthday wishes! Basically, between easter break travel and going to Cambodia for Qingming weekend with friends, this birthday was a do-nothing sleep-in be-lazy day, and this week actually a do-laundry air-out-the-room recovery week. Which has been abetted by weather that is pretty awful for doing just about anything, albeit pretty to look at sometimes. There's a lot of water in the air, and I mean a LOT, so in the evenings (and sometimes during the day, too) the low clouds become mist becomes misty rain. I opened my umbrella walking around today only to discover that it doesn't actually *do* anything in this kind of weather, because the water is not so much falling as it is condensing on your skin. I'm running the A/C in my room, not because it's hot, but because otherwise I can't get things to dry.

I passed someone today who was wearing a t-shirt that said "Sorry I'm Late!"

Our campus 7-11 now has slurpees, and even slurpee lids for the cups, but no special straws.

I have somehow accumulated about two dozen library books, even as I do my best to read on trains, before bed, when traveling, etc. and returning them as soon as I finish them. I also have a list on my mobile phone of library call numbers of things I haven't even checked out yet.

I re-viewed my old Chinese 1 textbooks while I was in China, and the memories came flooding back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home