Eagerly Unanticipated

Monday, May 29, 2006

My short attention span

Anecdote: in class once, my favorite math professor was critiqued by a student for having a short attention span. His response: "That may be true, but you know who else has a short attention span? Look! A bug."

I'm not quite sure what happened (probably the Internet), but it feels like my attention span has shortened as well. The length of time I can spend reading without pause seems to have decreased; I start many tasks that don't get finished until I've paused, started something else, and then returned to them. I'll have a song in mind that I really want to listen to in the car or on my computer, but I lack the wherewithal to listen to it all the way through.

Now I know that to some extent this sort of priority-shifting was a defense mechanism at school against actually doing anything productive or substantial--a procrastination tactic. It was in the same vein as "do the easy stuff before the hard stuff, regardless of what's due when" and "I'll start after dinner." Unfortunately, I seem to have habitualized it. Indeed, I stopped writing this entry twice already to do other inane Internet-related things... and I just did it again. This is another one of those warning signs, since it always seemed to me that having a decent attention span was necessary to basically any job that you had to think about in order to do. Although I'm planning basically a month of self-improvement: waking up at a regular hour, eating better than I do at school and at consistent times, working out a little to stay in shape, mayyyybe prepping a little for the LSAT to keep myself sharp (I'm probably going to substitute snobby reading for LSAT stuff); I didn't consider what I can/should do to improve my focus. I guess it's something else to think about.

3 Comments:

  • maybe we should get you a copy of the Attention Deficit Disorder's Big Book of... Hey! Let's go Ride Bikes!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/7/06, 1:37 PM  

  • Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/12/06, 7:10 AM  

  • I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/17/06, 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home